Wednesday, June 1, 2011

News

For a long time I'd never had much of an interest in the news. I don't know why but I just didn't care enough.
That changed just recently for unknown reasons.
Now that I am slightly more interested in the goings on of the world, I have been able to reach a startling(ly naive?) conclusion.

I think that the news should not have a set time slot. Yes, it should start at the same time every day and things like the weather should have a definite time slot but I think that on slow news days they should finish the show when they have nothing else interesting to say.
It's not just network news either. In fact I find that it's more unpalatable when an entertainment news show (7PM Project in Australia or even my much beloved Colbert Report and The Daily Show for the US) will try to fill their half an hour when there really is nothing news-worthy to talk about.

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart is great but i really didn't need to see ten minutes worth of penis jokes because all that had happened that weekend was the tweeting of Weiner's weiner.

I had never watched the 7PM Project before tonight but decided to turn it on to aid in my procrastination. I turned it off after 10 minutes because it seemed just a little thrown together and wasn't really taking aim at anything in particular which frustrated me for some reason. I wouldn't have minded if they had some sort of theme flowing through their stories but it really did seem as if they would introduce a topic, throw a handful of comments at it and then move on and that was it. It has been a fairly slow news day though and so I don't blame them for their lack of interesting content, I just think that they should have cut it short and made a punchier, more engaging product.

Unfortunately, I realise that it is just not that easy. TV doesn't work that way. The news doesn't work that way.

To tell you the truth it's probably mostly my fault. I get most of my entertainment from the internet and so I'm used to being entertained 24/7 which is a terrible burden to the entertainment business and especially the advertising companies that fund them.

Nick! You are offering only problems and no solutions! Who do you think you are to stand on your soap box and tear down everyone else's hard work!? Could you produce consistently entertaining content 5 days a week!?

No.
Clearly.

Well I guess I have given something resembling a solution. It's really not great though.

Maybe I can think about it for a bit and get back to you.


I apologise so much for making this post so long. If you read this far I am AMAZED and I would love to give you a present. Let me know if you did and I will try to make it happen :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment